Thursday, May 29, 2014

Artist Trade


Okay! So how this piece came to be is a longish story. My friend Claire Brankin, who graduated from KCAI's Illustration program with me, made an incredible wood-cut illustration from Dostoevsky's "The Brothers Karamazov".(Look at it here: http://blog.clairebrankin.com/image/75828451952. And follow the blog, while you're there!) 

Now, woodcuts are one of my favorite mediums, Dostoevsky is one of my favorite authors and Claire is one of my favorite artists, so naturally I had to have one of these prints.

Claire noticed me drooling on Facebook and offered an artist trade! Now for the other part of the story. My other friend, Nicki Doo (whose blog I cannot find, sadly. Her lettering is incredible) lent and then gave me a how-to guide to medieval illumination! I only just unpacked it, and oh! How excited I was.

So! I am using the techniques in the book (sort of... lots of improv) to create an illuminated initial for Claire, and in return I shall have a beautiful woodcut.

Of course, this is nowhere near done. But this is my first time leafing! Very pleased with the leafing results. Very excited to do more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment