Thursday, October 24, 2013
They are coming out with a new album, here is some potential cover art for it. The title of the album means "Werewolf", but feminine instead of the real French word Loup Garou, which I found totally inspiring.
Anyway, this is what I was working on all yesterday.
Wednesday, October 23, 2013
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
Also, you will notice this puppet did not come to beautiful completion. This is because I was attending my first day of training, to begin my terribly exciting career as a Fred Meyer Health and Beauty clerk. So he'll just have to be finished tomorrow.
Either way, I'm loving this eyepatch. Means I don't have to match eyelids to each other :-)
So I am building on the routine that I started with the Leprechaun. Not only will there be daily progress updates, but each day there will be several process updates, in which I show you the different stages of my processes.
And that's not all! Working on one puppet at a time leaves me with lots of time on my hands while I wait for clay to bake or paint to dry. This will be remedied by working on TWO (count 'em TWO) puppets at the same time. Not only will you get daily progress, not only will you get step-by-step process, but you'll be getting TWO for the price of NONE (cos it's free.)
That rule does not apply today because going from working on one head to another and then back again proved too much for my tiny brain. As soon as we get past this stage though, there will be two puppets.
Anyway, you can see my starting materials in the first picture. Tinfoil, Sculpey, Reference. The picture after that shows the major stages I baked in. I always bake after every tiny little detail, so I just photographed the important ones.
And of course, the final product at the bottom. I'm really excited about this guy... I think I put a slight crackle in his paint to mimic the texture of the label...
Thursday, October 17, 2013
Friday, October 11, 2013
Today the focus was the mug of ale. The sugar glass experiment failed terribly, so I decided to resort to some found-object-modification. I began with a travel size plastic bottle. Some cutting, some sculpting and some coats of clear nail polish later, and I have a mug! I'm particularly pleased with how thick the "glass" looks... really I just made sure there was space between the inner brown shape and the thin plastic on the outside.
He will need a background, which I am going to talk with my client about (physical? Composited? Like the label or different?)
But first! Weekend for Nikki!
Anyway, I added a trim to all of the edges of the Leprechaun's jacket, and then I did another little paint job. The green lining on the coat tails was blending with his legs too much, so I painted that yellow, and the green cuffs and collar were not the right green, and now match more closely with the hat and pants.
Sadly, the sugar glass experiment has not become glass, and remained a delicious gooey mixture. Not to worry, I have plans to purchase a small toy in a capsule from a gumball machine, and throw the toy out and use the capsule to make a NEW mug of ale.
Be back tonight for day 11.
Wednesday, October 9, 2013
Monday, October 7, 2013
THERE! So close! The jacket still needs painting, and he still needs his props, but other than that, he's nearly complete.
There are the coattails, posesable, as promised. I'm terribly pleased.
The jacket is not completely lined, though I did think of trying it. It's also not hemmed, because it is already two layers thick, and already pretty stiff without the edges being folded over. The lining that is there is stuck on with spray adhesive, and the edges are finished with a bit of fabric glue.
I think I will make the jacket a much darker green than the pants, as right now they blend into each other.
Saturday, October 5, 2013
Happy Saturday, everybody. I'm finishing the day early, since it is Saturday, so I'm afraid the post is not terribly interesting.
I made a jacket pattern, and sewed the armature to the lining of the jacket. On Monday I will sew the jacket up and the coat tails will be completely poseable. After that all he's need is a bag o' gold and a foaming mug of ale, and he'll be good to go.
Friday, October 4, 2013
Things seem to be winding up on this little guy. Most noticeably, today he has pants! Yay! They will get painted to give them a little more texture, but they are done!
His vest is also close to finished. The buttons are made of painted Sculpey, and I think they're adorable. The collar still needs to be sewn (or glued... probably glued) on, but first his neck needs to dry.
His first neck was just wire and latex paint, and I figured his beard would cover it, but it looked so bad I redid it. Now he has a neck more like Drop Kick's, which is a sleeve of stretchy fabric painted to match the skin and glued to the head.
Also, as you can see from the photo of the neck, the back still looks a mess. He will be getting a jacket soon that will cover all that up. It will also have coat tails. Precious little poseable coat tails.
Thursday, October 3, 2013
Yesterday I finished up the hat, put the stripes on the stockings and had a minor shoe catastrophe. Not to worry, they have been patched up, as you can tell, and someday I will get a process down for these pesky feet.
I also started on the vest. I am sticking to hand stitching for these puppets, partially because some clothes must be sewn onto the puppet and therefore cannot be done on the machine, partially to practice my stitching and mostly because I really enjoy hand sewing.
Tuesday, October 1, 2013
Sorry for the slightly blurry pics, the paint is still drying so I had to wrangle Jeff into holding him while I took the pics. (Jeff says hi.)
Shoes, stockings and paint job today. The shoes are going to get buckles, the stockings are going to get stripes and the hat is going to get another coat of paint, a ribbon and a clover at the end of that stem.
Maybe tomorrow I get to start on clothes!